Recap: Oscars

Many surprises took place at the Oscars this past weekend with Bohemian Rhapsody and Black Panther taking home many awards.

This past weekend on Feb. 24, the 91 annual Oscars award show took place in Los Angeles, Calif. It showcased the greatest movies released in the past year.

The nominations for Writing (Original Screenplay) were: The Favourite, First Reformed, Green Book, Roma and Vice. Green Book took home the award.

The nominations for Writing (Adapted Screenplay) were: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, BlacKkKlansman, Can You Ever Forgive Me, If Beale Street Could Talk and A Star is Born.

BlacKkKlansman won the Oscar.

The nominations for Visual Effects were: Avengers Infinity War, Christopher Robin, First Man, Ready Player One and Solo: A Star Wars Story. First Man won the Oscar.

The nominations for Sound Mixing were: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, Roma and A Star Is Born. The winner was Bohemian Rhapsody.

The nominations for Sound Editing were: Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, A Quiet Place and Roma. Bohemian Rhapsody won the award.

The nominations for Short Film (Live Action) were: Detainment, Fauve, Marguerite, Mother and Skin. Skin took home the Oscar.

The nominations for Short Film (Animated) were: Animal Behaviour, Bao, Late Afternoon, One Small Step and Weekends. The winner was Bao.

The nominations for Production Design were: Black Panther, The Favourite, First Man, Mary Poppins Returns and Roma. Black Panther won the award.

The nominations for Music (Original Design) were: “All the Stars” from Black Panther, “I’ll Fight” from RBG, “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from Mary Poppins Returns, “Shallow” from A Star Is Born and “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs. The winner of the award was “Shallow” from A Star Is Born.

The nominations for Music (Original Score) were: Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, If Beale Street Could Talk, Isle Of Dogs and Mary Poppins Returns. Black Panther won the award.

The nominations for Makeup and Hairstyling were: Border, Mary Queen of Scots and Vice. The winner of the award was Vice.

The nominations for Foreign Language Film were: Capernaum, Cold War, Never Look Away, Roma and Shoplifters. Roma won the Oscar.

The nominations for Film Editing were: BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book and Vice. Bohemian Rhapsody won the award

The nominations for Documentary (Short Subject) were: Black Sheep, End Game, Lifeboat, A Night at The Garden and Period. End of Sentence. The winner was Period. End of Sentence.

The nominations for Documentary (Feature) were: Free Solo, Hale County This Morning, This Evening, Minding the Gap, Of Fathers and Sons and RBG. Free Solo won the award.

The nominations for Directing were: BlacKkKlansman, Cold War, The Favourite, Roma and Vice. The winner of the award was Roma.

The nominations for Costume Design were: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Black Panther, The Favourite, Mary Poppins Returns and Mary Queen of Scots. The winner was Black Panther.

The nominations for Cinematography were: Cold War, The Favourite, Never Look Away, Roma and A Star Is Born. Roma won the Oscar.

The nominations for Animated Feature Film were: Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, Mirai, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. The winner of the award was Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

The nominations for Actress in a Supporting Role were: Amy Adams, Marina de Tavira, Regina King, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz. Regina King won the Oscar.

The nominations for Actor in a Supporting Role were: Mahershala Ali, Adam Driver, Sam Elliott, Richard E. Grant and Sam Rockwell. The winner was Mahershala Ali.

The nominations for Actress in a Leading Role were: Yalitza Aparicio, Glenn Close, Olivia Colman, Lady Gaga and Melissa McCarthy. Olivia Colman won the award.

The nominations for Actor in a Leading Role were: Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, William Dafoe, Rami Malek and Viggo Mortensen. The Oscar went to Rami Malek.

Finally, the nominations for Best Picture were: Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, A Star Is Born and Vice. Green Book took home the big award.

This past year has had many amazing movies released and it was shown with the amount of nominations each film got. Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther and Roma won many Oscars for their films and many other movies won multiple awards too. 2018 shaped up to be a very great year for movies.