Rapper T-Pain quits on youth convention concert after beach ball incident

Feb 25, 2019

T-Pain, rapper and songwriter, made a guest appearance at a youth convention, only to be overshadowed by a blown up beach ball.

Over Presidents Day weekend, B’nai Brith Youth Organization, known as BBYO, hosted its International Convention or IC in Denver, Colo. The convention was organized to bring awareness to many issues going on in society today.

The convention brought in many guest speakers and other celebrities including actors Max Greenfield and Gregg Sulkin, YouTube creators Yes Theory and musicians Marc E Bassy, T-Pain and Galantis.

The final night was dedicated to the musicians. Each musician was set to perform for an hour but plans were changed when T-Pain was struck by a beach ball to the head from one of the teens attending the concert.

Once the rapper was struck by the ball, he reacted quickly, shaking his head, twirling and throwing the microphone, followed by him leaving the stage. T-Pain did not return after this. The teens enjoying the concert were very confused and upset by this, considering it was only 30 minutes into T-Pain’s performance.

Students at HHS who were attending the convention and concert stated, “It hit me by surprise and made me curious to what was going to happen next,” said Sam Fiterman, Junior.

“I was shocked, I thought he was doing a great job and it was disrespectful that the kid threw the ball at him, but it was not worthy of T-Pain leaving the concert,” said Jordan Passman, Senior.

This resulted in Galantis performing almost double the time they were scheduled to perform.

After the conclusion of the convention, videos of T-Pain’s early exit started to surface and gain a lot of attention. Organizations such as TMZ, Reddit, Complex and Barstool Sports quickly picked up on the matter and it spread to many people very quickly.

The day after the concert, T-Pain tweeted, “Thanks for having me,” in response to an earlier tweet from a fan who was at the convention. The tweet stated, “Thank you for creating a teachable moment for our teens. I’m sorry they couldn’t be more respectable. Thanks for joining us anyway.”

The teens at the convention still had a very good time at the concert despite the miscommunication and it can be used as a learning experience for the future.