Student Spotlight: Brynn Hirsch wins MLK writing contest

Feb 5, 2019

Brynn Hirsch, sophomore, has been writing for years but she finally got recognized for it.

“I then submitted it and I didn’t really care if I won or not, but I was honestly not expecting to win,” Hirsch said.

Hirsch is a student here at HHS and is an incredible writer. She decided to enter the MLK writing contest and won.

“I learned about it from a flyer on Ms. Brueske’s door. And I kept seeing it and I thought it looked cool,” Hirsch said.

Participants in this contest were instructed to write a 900 or less word essay answering one of two prompts given by people who organized it. The two prompts this year were would you participate in a political protest? And the other was, how does taking a stand at times of challenge and controversy serve the broader community?

“The prompt I chose was would you participate in a political protest and I chose that one because it was an interesting question to me,” Hirsch said.

Hirsch then got to writing. Developing her own opinion and story while getting some help from her friends along the way.

“I wrote the essay in a few days with the little free time I had, I talked about how yes, I would participate in a protest because I already have and I think it’s an important thing to do to speak up for your rights and inspire people to do the same,” Hirsch said. “I also sent it to all my friends to help me edit and proofread it because I appreciate their feedback and we’ve always done this for each other.”

Hirsch took her friend’s suggestions, finished it and then sent it off. Later on Jan. 13, she got a call and was told she had won the contest. She was thrilled by what she heard.

“It was really surprising and exciting and I just felt really honored,” Hirsch said.

Hirsch would definitely recommend this experience to other people who enjoy writing, want to try improving it or just want to try something new.

“It’s always a good opportunity to expand your writing. I improved as a writer from this essay because I didn’t just sit there and let this opportunity go by. Even if you don’t win it’s still a great opportunity to share your work and get better,” Hirsch said.