AP Euro students come together for this year’s Renaissance Festival

Jan 11, 2019

Each January, Rather than studying for a 50 point final, HHS AP Euro students host their annual Renaissance Festival. Rather than stepping into the new year, these students take you back to the 16th century.

With the stress surrounding the end of the semester, the Renaissance Festival gives students a chance to work freely and encourages creativity and curiosity, giving the end a lighter feel.

“I think that this project benefits students by allowing them to delve deeper into certain parts of history that they may not have heard of otherwise. It gives students a better appreciation for history”, says Matthew Kovelan, junior.

Students are given a list of topics to choose from. This list includes important political figures, significant religious groups, important monarchs, and so on.

“Our group chose the Tudor monarchs because they played a large role in the shaping of the English history and specifically how their government evolved over time”, says Kovelan.

When walking into the old gym, students will notice the warming colors associated with the Renaissance and students walking from booth to booth which are set up to display one of the many important contributions to the English Renaissance. Each booth is required to have a display of information, a game or activity, and a food related to their topic.

“I enjoyed seeing everyone dressed up in costume and the final result of all the work that was put into it. It was a really fun for both the visitors and the hosts”, says Kate Nissen, Junior.