Girls soccer captains already preparing for upcoming season

Jan 9, 2019

Even though the season ended in early October, the girls Varsity Soccer team captain’s are already preparing for the 2019 season.

Abby Anderson, junior, Sophie Norman, junior, Reese Lovell, junior, and Laura Frank, junior, were selected as the captains for the 2019 season, taking place next fall. The captains were chosen by their teammates, along with coaches input.

The main focus for next season is the recruitment of players. There were 53 girls that tried out for the 2018 season, which was a low number trying to get about 18 players per team.

“We have been talking about next year and ways to improve our program and get more numbers involved, especially on the younger spectrum of things.” Said Anderson.

When Anderson says the, “the younger spectrum of things”, she is referring to the younger players including 7th and 8th graders. The girls from these grades help make up the Freshman and Sophomore teams, and they are important because without them there would be no Freshman or Sophomore team, or a very small team.  

After a tough season not winning a conference game, the addition of St. Michael-Albertville and Buffalo to next season’s conference schedule will hopefully help the team. In two previous matchups against Buffalo in the last two years, HHS has won both.