Winter choir concert

Dec 20, 2018

On Tuesday, Dec 18th, the choir department showcased their hard work during the winter concert. The choirs were in full preparation mode and working hard in class with their new selected songs by choir director, Katie Irvin.

“I wanted songs that best showed off my students plus songs that were fun to sing. I always try and pick a good variety of classical choral music and showtimes or pop songs. I often use the seasons to help me pick music, which is why there are a few winter type songs on this program.” said Irvin

Each choir has been working hard to prepare for this concert and making some improvements from the fall concert.

Claire Wahlen, junior, is in Bel Canto, the all women’s choir. “I feel very prepared with our songs because of how much Ms. Irvin believes in us and motivates us. We are doing a good job of singing as one choir rather than individual voices so I hope we can portray that in this concert.” said Wahlen

Irvin enjoys doing mass pieces, a song sung by all choirs together. This concerts mass piece is “Come Alive”, from the Greatest Showman.

“I liked the premise behind Come Alive. I think it’s important to sing music that sends a message to our audience and can be a talking point for our singers. I also was excited for a new piece from The Greatest Showman that hasn’t been over sung. I have started to do mass pieces to bring the whole choir program together. It helps build program morale.” said Irvin

Irvin, being the director for every choir, has a simple goal.

“I hope that they can reach some of the goals they created after the Fall concert as well as deliver a performance they are proud of while having a fun time performing.” said Irvin