DMV changes walk-in policy on road exams

Oct 29, 2018

When Lin Boemer, sophomore, heard that the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) changed their walk-in policy they were shocked.

According to the DMV, the new policy indicates that one can try to take a road test as a walk-in, but only do so if someone cancels an appointment that day or is a no-show. Boemer thought it would be the most flexible option with their busy schedule, so they were annoyed when they heard they wouldn’t be able to get a walk-in easily. Especially when they got up at three in the morning to drive to Buffalo to end up being told they couldn’t take it.

“If you don’t pass the first time, you have no chance of getting in until three or four months out. If I failed right now, they wouldn’t be able to get me in until January. That’s like four months,” Boemer said.

According to Ingenie’s Young Driver’s Guide, in 2015, it was found that the first time pass rate for the driver’s test was 21 percent. There are around 1,696 students at HHS, only about 356 of those 1,696 will pass on their first try, which is an incredibly small number of people.

“The system feels as if it is rigged for kids to fail,” Boemer said.

Jaxon Parker, senior, was grateful that he didn’t have worry about any of this when he took his road test.

“Unlike most people, I was very unstressed during the test. Mostly because I believed that I could do it. The only stressful part for me was watching out for the other drivers,” Parker said.

Anxiety can affect core mechanics that are used when driving and is a common downfall when taking the test. Breathing, irritability, creating a sense of doom, are only a couple.

“If you go into the test with a peaceful mind, don’t worry. Know your car and you’ll be fine,” Parker said.

According to DMV.org, the number one mistake that new drivers make that cause them to fail is “nerves or lack of confidence.” But that can be a difficult task alone for some, then add on a bunch of other stuff that is daunting already.

In addition, there is a $25.25 fee for every test after someone fails three times. It is important to note that the time of year someone takes the road test is a big indicator of availability.

“Summer and the beginning of the school year have traditionally been the busiest times for scheduling road tests in Minnesota,” said Megan Leonard, public information officer from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services.

With all of this being said, Leonard suggests to plan ahead, come prepared, be flexible with the location and keep looking for openings to those looking to schedule.