Change to come to grading policies at HHS?

Oct 25, 2018

The grading system at HHS might be changing in the next decade or so as many teachers, kids and parents alike believe basing intelligence largely off of test scores is a flawed method.

Though a lot of teachers base their grading system in a way that is unique to their class, tests still make up a large portion of grades in the majority of classes.

“I think having more weight on formative assessment is more fair… I would say that the grading system should change and be weighted where it is half formative and half summative,” said a teacher at HHS who asked to be anonymous.

Randie Levine, who is a parent of a junior, weighed in on how she feels.

“The grading system isn’t fair, seeing my kids freak out over how much a test grade can hurt their GPA scares me, because I know they’re smarter than the grade they get,” Levine said.

Eli Schechter, junior, agrees.

“Tests do not show someone’s true knowledge or intelligence on a subject and there should be diversity in the type of graded work teaches assign,” Schecter said.

Ryan Lokensgard, sophomore, feels like a charge is long overdue.

“I feel that when a kid does bad on a test they freak out because they know that this is really going to hurt their grade, I freak out because my parents will get really mad at me when they seem my grade go from an A to a B-. The system needs to change, and it’s about time it does,” Lokensgard said.