Conferences schedule change for this year

Oct 5, 2018

Every term HHS hosts conferences for students and parents to come in and talk to teachers about students progress in their class.

This 2018-19 school year staff has made accommodations to the way we have conferences. Now parents and students can come in at 8a.m.-9:30a.m. and 4p.m.-5:30p.m. for open conferences where staff will be in there offices or classrooms. In the middle of open hours teachers will meet privately with parents they have contacted personally.

The only major change to conferences that students will notice is teachers are no longer setting up stations in the commons and mall area. Teachers and counselors will be either in their offices or classrooms awaiting students and parents.

“Teachers wanted conferences to be more proactive, allowing teachers to reach out to parents of those that needed the extra push.” said, Linda Yesnes, administrative coordinator.

With being more proactive this year Mr. Bullinger decided for an hour during conferences to have an open coffee stop area for him and parents to socialize together. Allowing him to get to know the parents of his community.

In previous years conferences have had good turn outs but mainly by students who have positive grades. Conferences aren’t supposed to scare students, they are to show what students are doing correct and to also show what students need to improve in their schoolwork.  

“Teachers and counselors wanted to give students that are potentially insecure or uncomfortable talking about their grades a more private space, opening up their classrooms for one on one conversation.” said, Linda Yesnes, administrative coordinator.