Football mid-season update

Sep 28, 2018

Provided by: Will Stein

The Royals look on as the offense drive down the field. The Royals are 2-2 on the season.

The Hopkins Royals Football team is off to a strong start, going 2-2 in their first four games this year. Already one more win than their 2017 season total.

Last season for the Royals was a year to develop young talent. The graduating class of 2017 didn’t carry that many starters, as most of this years starters will be in their second year at the varsity level.

“We really put in the work this off-season to make our overall program a better place. Last year was tough going 1-8, but my team and I know this year will be different,” said James Klecker, senior. “The culture is just overall a better place to be around.”

One of the Royals ultimate bright spots this season is senior running back Jadon Washington, totaling over 400 yards and four touchdowns in just four games so far.

“I feel as if I’ve played above my expectations so far. Sometimes people will overlook my game, until it’s time to get on the field and I give them the business,” said Washington. I am confident in my team, it is mid-season and we still feel like we have something to prove.

College programs have taken notice of Washington’s play, as he has received scholarship offers from Mankato State University, University of Mary, as well as Minnesota State Moorhead. Washington is expecting more offers to come in as the season plays out.

A big story this season for the Royals program is upperclassmen playing both offense and defense. Senior’s such as Will Stein, Cayden Saxon and James Klecker.

“It is tough playing on both sides of the ball. I get winded at times but I know me being on the field will help us as a whole,” said Stein. “As for me being a senior, I know I have to help mentor the young guys in case they find themself in the same position I am, playing both sides of the ball.”

The defense has really stepped it up so far for the Royals. Key pieces such as RJ Chakolis, Will Von Der Hoff, and Rhegan Holmes have really meshed together to lead the defense.

“Our defense is stacked with talent this season,” said Von Der Hoff. “This team is a family, we all play for each other which I really believe gives us both a mental and physical advantage.”

The Royals are looking for more success as the season continues to play out.

Homecoming week is here, and the team wants to do everything in their power to not let the students and fans down.

“We all know how important this week is for the students, and we feel that we can’t let them down,” said Jack Gunderson, senior.

The Royals will face Chanhassen and Coon Rapids at home as well as Saint Thomas Academy and Forest Lake on the road the rest of the season.