Preview: Royals take on Chanhassen in Homecoming game

Sep 27, 2018

Isaac Richert

Royals celebrate a touchdown in a home game against Armstrong. The Royals take on Chanhassen for the homecoming game this friday.

The Hopkins Royals football team is looking to go above .500 on the season, as they face a tough Chanhassen team on their Homecoming week.

Last week, the Royals defeated Spring Lake Park 14-7 in an extremely hard fought game. The royals made it their main focus to stop their run game and they did just that.

“Our defense played well last week. We knew that Spring Lake Parks’ offense is pretty much all running so we knew our defense line really had to step up,” said Rhegan Holmes, senior.

After starting the season 2-2, one more win then the team had all of last year, they will look to carry that momentum into this weeks homecoming matchup. Hopkins has been lead by senior quarterback James Klecker, as he looks to make his fifth straight start behind center.

The Chanhassen Storm are 3-1 on the season, beating teams such as Armstrong, whom Hopkins lost to week 2. The Storm are a high scoring offense, starting with quarterback Jacob Miller.

“Getting a win on homecoming week is something we really want to make happen,” said Jack Gunderson, senior. “We know how important it is for the students and teachers to win this week.”

The Royals will look to make it 3-2 on the season this Friday night, September 28th, on their home turf.