Preview: Football takes on Waconia in second game of the season

Sep 7, 2018

Isaac Richert

Will Stein, senior, takes down an opposing Apple Valley Eagle in the season opener. The Royals travel to Waconia to look for their second win of the season.

As the Hopkins Royals Football team prepares to travel to Waconia this Friday night, they come in with some momentum from the previous week, beating a very solid Apple Valley Eagles team 21-0 to kick off their season.

“Although we were excited about our win, we look at every week as if we have an 0-0 record. Waconia is a very solid football team, but I have no doubt in my mind that my team and I should be coming out of this game with a win,” said Will Stein, senior.

The Royals will look to rely on their consistency at the quarterback position with senior captain, James Klecker starting under center.

“The key factors to this game lie in the passing game, spreading  the field early to open up the run game. Our defense is solid and always will be solid,” said Klecker.

Many upperclassmen for the Royals are finding themself playing both sides of the ball, including seniors James Klecker, Will Stein, and Cayden Saxon.

“It gets tough playing both offense and defense. My body gets tired but with all of the adrenaline going through me I try to just be on the field and produce as much as I can,” said Stein.

The Royals will look to travel to Waconia and make it two straight wins to start off their 2018 campaign.