Dynamic Duo: Ramadan & Finals

Jun 5, 2018

Reyan Ugas, sophomore, declines a fellow student’s offer of a candy bar, despite being stressed, tired and hungry in the midst of finals week.

Confused? Ugas declined the offer due to her religion which is Islam. She is one of the many Muslims at HHS and all around the world who are currently observing Ramadan, a holy month that happens each year.

History.com explains that Ramadan is month of reflection for Muslims. Fasting, one of the five pillars of Islam, from things such as food and drink from dawn until dusk is commonplace.

“A common misconception is that Ramadan is made to torture people. However, it is understood in most Muslim communities that there are going to be exceptions and that is okay. The actual purpose of Ramadan is about reflecting on your priorities and figuring out what you want to change to be the best version of yourself,” said Ugas.

The Marie Curie Organization echoes that. The website explains that there are plenty of valid reasons for not fasting some of which include a pregnant woman and a prepubescent child.

“It is up to the individual as to when they want to start fasting, but by the age of 15, it is pretty much everyone, as long they are healthy. Personally, I started fasting at 12,” said Anisa Hassan, junior.

There are a lot of resources and tips available online to make Ramadan more manageable. NBC highlights that when the fast is broken at at night, it is a time for community and celebration. They also talk about the three day holiday that happens after Ramadan, known as Eid al-Fitr, which includes plenty of food and lively celebration.