Album Review: Post Malone-Beerbongs and Bentleys

May 3, 2018

The wait is finally over. After months of teasing, three singles, and a date in early December that the album was rumored to drop came and went, the wait is over. Post Malone is back.

Post Malone dropped his sophomore effort beerbongs and bentleys to much fanfare from fans of the hip hop community. His debut project Stoney, was released a little under a year and a half ago and was one of the biggest hip hop records from its first song, “White Iverson” was put out in 2015 until its final single “I Fall Apart” released in late 2017.

Despite the overwhelming positive reception and a double platinum certification for Stoney, I wasn’t the biggest supporter of it. I thought that there was a lot left to be desired both lyrically and instrumentally. One thing that was very apparent in Post’s music was just how chill and laid-back it was.

Leading up to the release of this album, it was sort of a mixed bag for the first two singles to promote it. The first song to come out was “Rockstar” with up and coming Atlanta rap sensation 21 Savage. “Rockstar” hit radio and streaming services like a meteor, as it quickly became Post Malone’s biggest song to date. The song debuted at number one on Billboard and stayed on top for eight straight weeks. The song is so quotable and has an earworm of a hook. Simply put, it is one of my favorite songs from him.

This was followed up by “Psycho” with Ty Dolla $ign, which I was fairly indifferent to leading up to the release of b&b. However, in the broader context of the album, I think it fit the overall vibe of the record and has a solid hook with a decent feature from Ty.

I was intrigued by the singles, but I had a sneaking suspicion that he wouldn’t follow through on the other 16 songs on the tracklist.

Much to my delight, this was not the case.

For all of the part-rapper, part-singers that have started their own wave over the past few years, Post Malone has probably made the biggest impact in the field since Drake’s come up about a decade ago. His album has a very eclectic taste to it, with equal parts club bangers and chill/acoustic cuts. For a lot of people, this variety of styles could be a detriment to their project. But Post Malone thrives off this by showcasing his many talents.

The only bone that I have to pick with beerbongs and bentleys is how the album kicks off. I feel that the first four or five songs were not very high quality work, especially “Spoil My Night” with Swae Lee of Rae Sremmurd. The instrumental is merely passable and Swae Lee’s feature was a continuation of his underwhelming 2018.

Following this, the album gains steam with so many songs that were either really catchy or followed through on the topic of the song title. The middle of the tracklist shows Post really in his feelings over girls that have left him over the years. These songs pop up all throughout the album, but the best out of these include “Better Now,” “Otherside,” and my favorite acoustic track on the album with “Stay.” This song is heartfelt and the singing on this is classy and crisp.

After that song, we arrive at my two personal favorites, “Blame It On Me” and “Same B******,” which contains features from California rappers G-Eazy and YG. The first of the song has a touch of “White Iverson” to it, but not enough to say it blatantly ripped it off. The song has an excellent chorus and the vocal layering is solid as well.

The second track listed reminds me of something that 50 Cent would have done on a project like The Massacre. The eerie piano that is looped on the track is by far my favorite instrumental moment on the album and that’s not the only thing that makes this a highlight in the tracklisting. G-Eazy and YG provide two good guest verses that add to this banger.

And speaking of guest verses, we must bring up Nicki Minaj on “Ball For Me.” Nicki keeps building anticipation for her rumored album with yet another hot verse to complement “Chun Li” and “Barbie Tingz.” This rap superstar has a big 2018 in store if these three songs are any indication.

These are just some of the many moments that make beerbongs & bentleys the album that everybody has been salivating for.

Post Malone took Stoney and focused even harder and further established his name as one of the biggest rap phenoms to make it big over the last half decade. His songwriting, voice, and instrumental choices have also stepped up to the plate and hit it out of the park.

I was very impressed with beerbongs & bentleys and it has deserved every accolade that is has garnered up to this point.

Rating: 7.5/10