Op/Ed: Should President Donald Trump delete his twitter?

May 3, 2018

Donald Trump needs to learn a lesson from one of the magazines at your doctor’s office and take a “social media detox.”

Right before this school year started, I created a new account on Instagram after a six month hiatus I initiated myself and am very grateful for this. I feel like Donald Trump could take a lesson from the 14-year-old I was.

A small disclaimer: I do not think that politicians should abstain from having social media as long as they are using it in an appropriate way. I follow many politicians on Instagram and feel like it is a great way to get their message across. Barack Obama had a Twitter during his presidency, but you never heard of it creating international drama or threats; that’s not the case for Trump.

Before Donald Trump was even running to be the Republican nominee, he was starting drama within the political community. As The New York Times reports, he was one of the first people to suggest that former president Barack Obama was not born in the United States.

Despite Obama proving he was born in the American state of Hawaii, many people still believe this claim which was fueled by Trump’s use of Twitter. Call me crazy, but I think that our country should be focused on bigger issues, such as homelessness and healthcare, not on debating the fact that Barack Obama was born on American grounds. Obama’s birthplace is as debatable as saying Saint Paul is the capital of Minnesota.

I was trying to compile a list from quality resources and websites about the tweets he made while running for president and actually being president but frankly after trying, I think it might be better for me to list the things that come to my head. Here it goes: Jeb Bush drama, Marco Rubio drama, personal attacks at Hillary Clinton, bullying Megyn Kelly, incorrect facts, starting a petty feud with Kim Jong Un, improper grammar, the list goes on.

Ultimately, it would be the best case scenario for everyone if Trump deletes his Twitter account. Maybe if he deletes his account, he will eventually be responsible enough to use Twitter in productive way and create a new account like I did, but until then he should focus on his responsibility in leading the United States of America.