DenHartog and Hoffman awarded Athena and Apollo award

Every year at HHS two seniors, one male and one female, are selected as the most accomplished athletes of the school.

Natalie DenHartog, senior, and Jesper Hoffman, senior, were the two athletes selected for this prestigious award.

“The coaches of the various varsity sports are able to nominate athletes for the award,” DenHartog said. “Then the nominees fill out paperwork laying out their athletic achievements so far. The coaches then get together and discuss and select the winners of the award.

DenHartog is currently the captain of the softball team and has committed to play at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. DenHartog has been playing on the varsity softball team since seventh grade. She also played basketball in ninth and tenth grade but had to discontinue because of a knee injury.

“My biggest accomplishment so far has been helping the Royals to back to back section championships and state tournament appearances,” DenHartog said. “Overall I think my stats show what I can do as a player and I’m just super excited to play as a gopher next year.”

Winning the Athena award is more than just a title to DenHartog.

“I have always looked up to the previous Athena winners as incredible female athletes and people,” DenHartog said. “I am just super honored to be chosen to embody that for this year’s senior class.”

Jesper Hoffman, senior, is currently the captain of the boys hockey team, in the fall, was the captain of the cross country team and, in the spring, is the captain of the track and field team he also participates on the nordic skiing team.

“My biggest accomplishment is running a 16:23 in a 5k [race] for my last race of my senior cross country season,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman is also proud of the award he has earned

“It shows how much work I’ve put in over the years and all the different activities I participate in,” Hoffman said.