2018 Soundset lineup

Mason Arneson, Staff Reporter

Music is one of the biggest parts of teen culture and concerts are one of the best ways to experience your favorite artists firsthand. And every Memorial Day weekend, one of the biggest opportunities to bring music to life rolls right through the Twin Cities.

Soundset is a hip hop music festival that will take place on May 27, which will feature acts that are known on both a mainstream level and a more underground level. The festival will happen at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.

Following last year’s extravaganza, many people were left in awe of what they perceived to be one of the best lineups in the show’s history. The show was headlined by trap superstar Travis Scott, who electrified the crowd throughout his barn-burning set. Performers earlier in the day also included rap legends Gucci Mane and T.I., as well as newer acts such as D.R.A.M. and Ty Dolla $ign.

This year’s lineup was announced on Wednesday and will hope to live up to its predecessor.

The three headliners for this year’s festival are Logic, who hit the top five of the Billboard Hot 100 with his smash hit “1-800-273-8255,” Atlanta’s foremost rap trio Migos, who boast back-to-back number one albums, Culture and its sequel Culture II, and Atmosphere, a Minneapolis rap duo that has headlined every Soundset festival to date.

In the undercard, many of the supporting acts look to draw attention to their respective sets. There is a good mix of fresh faces and respected veterans.

The newer crop of acts include the Los Angeles rap collective Brockhampton, who released some extremely fun and interesting rap music in their “Saturation” trilogy. Two other acts that will draw attention are Russ, a multi-platinum crooner, and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, who broke out with his single “Drowning” last year.

The established artists performing on Memorial Day weekend are the Wu Tang Clan, who will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of their classic genre-defining album “Enter The Wu Tang (36 Chambers),” hip hop pioneer turned reality TV star Ice-T, and multi-platinum neo-soul icon Erykah Badu.

Three out of the five nominees at the Grammys for Rap Album of the Year were on the advertisement poster as well. These include the aforementioned Migos, who were nominated for their breakout album “Culture”, Tyler, The Creator, who received a nomination for his artful and jazz-influenced project “Flower Boy”, and Rapsody, who dropped her sophomore album “Laila’s Wisdom”.

Overall, I think that this lineup is very solid. I would say that the headliners might not be as electric as last years’, but the supporting artists have had a lot of success and have some very good songs and projects that should make their shows memorable.

Rating: 7/10