HRDT hosts tryouts for 2018-19 season

HRDT warms up for tryout day three of four.

Photo provided by Azumi Johnson

The Hopkins Royals dance team (HRDT) will be holding tryouts for the Junior Varsity and Varsity teams this week.

These tryouts are deciding who makes it into the HRDT program which has two squads. There will also be tryouts later in the year where the team is split into their respective Junior Varsity and Varsity teams.

Tryouts run from Tuesday through Thursday and final auditions are on Friday. Tuesday through Thursday coaches will review skills such as, jumps, leaps, and turns. Friday routines will be running through their practiced routines in front of the coaches.

The coaches will be looking for a hard work ethic, good dance technique, and potential of being great.

“I have been keeping up my ballet technique, endurance, strength, and making sure to keep dancing even though its the off season,” said Azumi Johnson, junior.

There are roughly 65 girls trying out for HRDT this year. HRDT does plan on making cuts this year narrowing down the team to 45-50 girls.

The team will have 11 seniors next year lead by captains Sally Reed, junior, and Josie Sanford, junior.

“The team is looking awesome for our next season. We have a lot of great younger girls that are coming up and will make great additions to the Varsity team. Although we are very sad to lose our wonderful seniors, our team will look very similar next year as it did this year,” Reed said. “This is nice because it will allow us to only build on the amazing progress we made as a team this year and continue to work towards our goals.”

Once the HRDT group of girls is set after this week they will participate in captains practice. Others will practice with a dance studio and some girls will participate in other spring sports.

“I’m going to continue to take dance classes and workout to stay in shape. In order to help me stay in shape I’m going to participate in lacrosse this spring,” said Kristin Mandeville, junior.

HRDT will continue to prepare for the season in many ways including their team tryouts this week.