Preview: Boys Basketball takes on Falcons in first round of sections

Joe+Hedstrom%2C+senior%2C+takes+mid-range+shot+over+defender.+

Adam Segal

Joe Hedstrom, senior, takes mid-range shot over defender.

The Royals’ boys basketball team starts the section tournament tonight against the Robbinsdale Armstrong Falcons after a well-deserved first round bye.

The Royals are going into the tournament ranked first behind their 25-1 record and 8-0 Lake Conference record. The Falcons were ranked fourth in the tournament with a 11-15 record. They already played and won their first game against Minneapolis South 75-46.

This will be the first matchup of the year between the Royals and Falcons. The Royals are being led by Zeke Nnaji, junior, Anthony Davis, senior, and Blaise Beauchamp, sophomore, who are scoring 19.9, 15.4 and 15.4 points per game respectively.

The Royals have been dominant throughout the whole regular season and will look to keep their shut-down defense and efficient offense into the sections tournament and hopefully state.

Year after year, the Falcons have failed again and again to make the state tournament but this year Jake Breitbach, sophomore, and Nashiem Lozier, senior, are trying to change that. They are averaging 10.7 and 9.6 points per game.

The game is being played at a neutral site at Osseo at 5 pm. After the Royals game, the Wayzata Trojans will be facing off against the St. Louis Park Orioles in the other semi-final game.

The winner of these two teams will face off in the sections championship for a chance to play at Target Center for the chance to bring home the state championship.

It is looking like both the Royals and Trojans will win their respected games and meet up in the finals for the second year in a row.

The sections championship game will be played on Mar. 14 at 7 pm again at Osseo high school.