Girls basketball faces Wayzata Trojans

Gianni Tejada, Staff Reporter

After a commanding 33 point victory over Minnetonka this week, the Royals girls basketball team look to take down the 23-0 Wayzata Trojans at home tonight.

The Trojans are a very balanced scoring team with no one averaging over 15 points per game (PPG). However, Kallie Theisen, junior, is their leading scorer averaging 14.6 PPG.  Thielsen had an impressive 30 point game this season, in a nine point win against Maranatha.

The Trojan’s closest game was against the 18-5 Lakeville North Panthers in early December, where Wayzata outscored Lakeville North 10-9 in overtime ending in a Wayzata win, with a final score of 72-71.  

The Trojans biggest win was their 45 point blow-out against the Orono Spartans.  Wayzata’s top scorer for that game was Jasmine Smiley, sophomore, with 22 points.

The Trojans are 6-0 in Lake conference play, winning every game by an average of 12.8 points.  The closest games they had in the Lake conference were against the Eden Prairie Eagles, and the Royals, both won by 4 points.  

“This is going to be a personal game for us because they beat us in that game last time,” said, Paige Bueckers, sophomore.  “We’ve been practicing a lot this week and really trying to focus on playing good defense and focusing on making our shots.”

With Wayzata being the Royals most formidable opponents,  they plan to give the Trojans their first loss of the season tonight.

The Royals are on a two game win streak after a six point loss to DeLaSalle at the end of January, and they want to keep that streak going through out the end of this season.  

The Royals have one more game after tonight at Eden Prairie on the 23rd to finish this regular season.

The game tonight is at the Lindbergh Center at 7:00 pm.