Lady Bird

Lady Bird

Over winter break, I had the opportunity to watch Lady Bird, which is one of the nominees for best picture at this year’s 90th anniversary of the Academy Awards or 2018 Oscars.

IMDb reports that Lady Bird had around a $10 million dollar budget and garnered a box office slightly shy of $44 million dollars. The notoriously harsh website Rotten Tomatoes has given Lady Bird a 99 percent overall rating. I was excited to see the movie as it has been well-liked by viewers and critics alike.

Lady Bird takes place in California’s capital city of Sacramento in 2002. The plot of Ladybird surrounds a teenage girl from a working class family who yearns to go to college on the East Coast despite this adversity due to her grades and financial situation.

One of the highlights of Ladybird was how realistic it was. Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson is far from perfect in any aspect including her grades, relationships, and clothing. Though it is almost impossible for Hollywood to depict what an average American teenager’s life is like, Lady Bird had a much better depiction of high school than movies like Mean Girls, Clueless, High School Musical, or Easy A.

The relationships Lady Bird has throughout the movies are some of the best, most insightful pieces of the movie. Her relationships with her family, love interests, classmates, and best friend have the fantastic combination of showing the wide variety of emotions that happen when it comes to high school relationships.

Lady Bird in many ways reminds me of the movie Juno, which takes place in Minnesota. They are both very quirky movies that are loved due to their quirkiness.

In the end, Lady Bird lived up to my expectations. Before the Oscars take place on March 4, try to go see the lovely, thoughtful and unconventional movie known as Lady Bird.