HHS New Years Resolutions

Jan 12, 2018

Jonathan Goins, senior, is setting down his vape for the rest of the year. From Jan 1 to Dec 31, Jonathan plans to not vape at all.

“I made it my resolution this year to quit vaping nicotine in order to stay healthy,” Goins said. I’ve been doing well so far but it’s really hard. I find myself wanting to vape all the time, but I’ve been working out more to get my mind off it.”

Goins says that if he continues to work out more often, it could further benefit his health while keeping his mind away from nicotine.

“It’s like I’m killing two birds with one stone,” Goins said, “I feel great.”

If Goins is able to power through the rest of the year without using his vape, he’ll be one of the 8% of people who are able to hold their resolutions annually. According to Business Insider, 80% of New Year’s resolutions are already abandoned by February.

There are a number of different interferences that could throw a person off course from their resolutions, whether it be them setting too many for themselves or simply not believing in themselves enough.

For Abby Martin, senior, it was the temptation that got her early on.

“I was only able to last four days,” Martin said. “I wanted to spend less money this year in general, because I want to be able to save money for college next year and I always find myself buying things I don’t need.”

Once she got a piercing and bought herself a new shirt, Martin had already lost her motivation.

“My resolutions usually don’t last very long,” Martin said, “but I always have them in the back of my mind.”