HHS students enter for the National Scholastic Art Awards

Jan 12, 2018

Many well done art and writing deserve some sort of award for their excellence. Scholastic Art and Writing Awards have done just that.

Many highschool and middle schools students will enter in the national judging in hopes to win awards and a chance at a Gold key. Students in grades from 7-12 grade can enter in over 29 categories ranging from college to fiction writing.

To give those high school students who demonstrate superior talent and achievement in things of the spirit and of the mind at least a fraction of the honors and rewards accorded to their athletic classmates for demonstrating their bodily skills,” said Maurice R. Robinson, Founder of Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.

The awards go (from lowest to highest rank) Honorable mention, Silver key, Gold key. When a student has won the Gold key award they will travel with their artwork to NYC to be apart of the Scholastic Art and Writing, Awards. Each piece will be displayed and kept in museums.

“It’s an opportunity for students to apply their art in shows and get awards, but sometimes kids with really wonderful works of art get ignored and sometimes people have different opinions on what does get in,” said Bethany Henshaw, Art teacher. “By no means does it mean it’s the best of the best just the best among those judges.”

Although Silver and Honorable mentions don’t show their work in NY they earn a certificate from Scholastic Art and Writing. Many colleges look highly upon those who have won awards and could potentially help with admissions. Students should apply for the potential not in fear.