Boys basketball looks for revenge on Trojans after last years loss in section finals

Jan 11, 2018

Anthony Davis, senior, dribbles in front of Wayzata defender last year. The Royals look to beat the Trojans after losing to them last year in the section finals.

Bea Frank

Two nights ago, the Royals started their second half of the season against the Orono Spartans. The Royals were able to come out on top 94-86 to extend their win streak to 13 games.

Before the second half of the season was even able to tip off against the Spartans, the Royals already started down 0-2. The Royals received a technical foul during warm-ups because Anthony Davis, senior, dunked.

That didn’t affect the Royals play, as they still scored their fourth highest points in a game this season.

Going into the game, the big matchup to watch was gopher offered Zeke Nnaji, junior, and gopher commit Jarvis Omersa, senior. Both players played well and helped out their teams on both ends of the floor. Omersa was able to score 19 points while Nnaji scored 17.

However, the more interesting story of the night was with Davis. After getting a technical foul before the game started, he scored a game high 26 points played lockdown defense on the other side.

Joe Hedstrom, senior, again was able to get into double figures scoring 12 points as well as playing some great defense on Omersa. Blaise Beauchamp, sophomore, was also able to help the Royals in this victory scoring 19 points.

The Royals have their second conference game of the season tomorrow against the Wayzata Trojans. Last years’ 6AAAA section winners aren’t having the season they had last year at all. They have already lost more games than last year and have a 8-4 record compared to a 23-3 record from last year.

The Trojans are being led by Jacob Beeninga, junior, and Drew Galinson, senior, who are averaging 17.7 and 14.2 points per game, respectively.  

The Trojans are trying to start a new win streak after their five-game win streak ended against the Benilde St. Margaret Knights. They were able to beat the St. Louis Park Orioles in their last game and will try win two in a row tomorrow.