Seniors’ college journeys start and end early through Early Decision and Early Action programs

Jan 9, 2018

Some seniors at HHS are hearing from universities earlier than most of their peers. These students were not randomly picked, rather they most likely applied to their universities using Early Decision or Early Action.

According to the Princeton Review, early decision is a process in which a student applies to go to a school early and is committed to that university if they are accepted. With that being said, depending on the college, applicants are either accepted, rejected, or deferred.

Rejected means that the student cannot apply at all within the next year. Deferred applies to students who did not make the early decision cut, but can re-apply again when the regular decision applications come along.

“When I toured Boston University, I knew that it was my top choice so I was fine with a binding decision. The applicant pool is smaller for early decision, so I knew I had a better chance of getting in and applying Early Decision showed how much I wanted to go to the school,” said Bryn Kahle, senior. “I was accepted and I am excited to be attending there in the fall.”

Unlike Early Decision, Early Action is not a binding process, according to the Princeton Review. A student applies earlier than in regular decision, but if accepted, they are not obligated to attend that college or university.

Due to this process, students can apply to multiple universities. However, Averee Peterson, senior, chose to apply to just one school through Early Action.

“Northern Michigan University was my top choice and the only one I was applying to. I applied Early Action because they have a rolling admission where there is no real deadlines,” Peterson said. “The university did not offer Early Decision, so my decision was not binding, but I did get in and am excited to be attending there in the fall.”