Player Profile: Deveraux Davis

Dec 21, 2017

Deveraux+Davis%2C+senior%2C+locks+down+Sauk+Rice+player.+Davis+averages+5.4+points+for+the+Royals.+

Jake Birnberg

Deveraux Davis, senior, locks down Sauk Rice player. Davis averages 5.4 points for the Royals.

Deveraux “DJ” Davis, senior, is a forward for the boys’ basketball team and is currently averaging 5.4 points per game.

Davis has been playing organized basketball since he was in fourth grade, and used to play in the Minnetonka Recreation league. He started playing basketball because of his mom and brother.

“My brother also played basketball when he was in high school,” Davis said. “My mother was the Athena award winner at her high school and she also played basketball so I decided to give it a try.”

Davis started out the season scoring 16 points in the first game. Though he hasn’t broken five points since, he is still contributing his part coming off the bench.

“It feels great,” Davis said. “It really boosts my confidence as a player not only does it make me feel good knowing that I’m getting better. It really  makes me feel good to see that my teammates are getting better.”

Since last year, Davis has seen a lot of playing time on the varsity team.

“I wanted to work on my change of pace and also work on my ball handling and shooting ability,” Davis said.

Davis has gone a long way since starting his basketball career back in fourth grade and he has a distinct memory about playing with Hopkins.

“My favorite memory from basketball was when I scored 18 points in my 9th grade season with the royals,” Davis said.

Davis has helped the Royals start a solid season with a 5-1 record and will look to continue to fill his role for this team.