HHS student studies around the world

Dec 20, 2017

While most seniors are sitting behind a desk in school for their last year of high school, Luke Yourzak, senior, took advantage of a different opportunity.

This senior at HHS has traveled abroad to so many places all around the world.

“I have been studying for the past semester with the school ‘Kroka Expeditions’ a small outdoor education program in New Hampshire, as well as their sister school in Ecuador, Nahaul Expeditions,” Yourzak said. 

Yourzak said that he is learning a whole new way of life and doing things that he never imagined hed ever get the chance to do.

“We sheared alpacas, cared for horses, and so much more,” Yourzak said.

Both of the schools that he attended were based out of farms in which the group of the 15 students worked each day milking cows, gardening, and more.

“All the while, we were completing four college courses: Outdoor Sustainability, Culture Studies and English,” Yourzak said. “Usually the classrooms would be tents, yurts, barns and the woods itself.”

Yourzak said that another big aspect of the program is “expedition”. This is a very intense outdoor trip with more focus on learning about themselves, each other, and the world around them.

The group went on four of these intense trips over the semester.

One of the trips was a month long trip around Ecuador on foot, boats, and bikes.

“Now after this incredible trip in Ecuador, I’m off again with Kroka to Canada to tour the back country about two hours north of Montreal. This trip will all be on skis,” Yourzak said. “I will be living in a 20 foot tent with 13 other students.”

Luke is still abroad traveling around the world and discovering new things.

“In the future, I am hoping to take this learning and pursue an education at an outdoors centered, liberal arts college,” Yourzak said.