HEF funds student-led mental health awareness campaign

Dec 18, 2017

This fall, the Hopkins Education Foundation (HEF) awarded $44,159 in the form of 13 grants, with an emphasis on improving the health and wellness of students.

One HHS student campaign in particular, led by Holly Magdanz, Hopkins One Voice Coordinator, and Katie Williams, Community Education Director, is raising awareness about emotional and mental health concerns.

“Hopkins One Voice Coalition and Hopkins High School decided to apply for an HEF grant that, in partnership with Community Education, would co-fund the creation of student campaign, centered around identifying and seeking help for emotional and mental health concerns,” Magdanz said.  

According to Magdanz, the campaign will utilize the social marketing and creative expertise of Community Blueprint, a local company which develops campaigns specifically around policy, prevention, and behavior change initiatives.

“To ensure a relevant and impactful student campaign relating to mental health, Community Blueprint will work directly with HHS students to shape the campaign’s messaging and peer-led engagement strategies,” Magdanz said. “A key goal of the campaign will also be HOW to get help, including specifically identifying key support staff and local community resources who are here to help them.”

The campaign, which is currently untitled until the Student Advisory Board helps name it, will work to destigmatize emotional and mental health challenges that are prevalent with teenagers. Students will learn some key signs of anxiety, depression, and self-harmful behaviors.

The work of the Student Advisory board will also be used to help inform the creation of an HHS student mental health center. The focus is directed towards the HEF Special Appeal in 2018-2020, which hopes to provide support for students in an after-school setting.

“The Student Advisory Board will really help shape the direction for other areas regarding health and wellness that might arise from this campaign,” Magdanz said. “For instance, we might partner with other efforts around stress management and building healthy coping skills, that can apply universally to all students.”

Magdanz believes that while the rise in the mental health needs of students is unknown, teens now more than ever need additional support.

“Whether short-term or long-term, mental health challenges can greatly affect our health and well-being, and ability to thrive as student learners,” Magdanz said. “By supporting students in effectively addressing mental health challenges facing them or a friend, we hope to equip them with skills that will help them both now, as they navigate their teen years, and well into adulthood.”

All HHS students interested in participating in the Student Advisory Board for the campaign, which will be formed after winter break, are invited to apply. Watch for signs and more on the announcement soon.