Player Profile: Dlayla Chakolis

Dec 8, 2017

Dlayla+Chakolis%2C+junior%2C+dribbles+ball+passed+half+court.+The+Royals+beat+the+Warriors++72-58.+

photo by Dlayla Chakolis

Dlayla Chakolis, junior, dribbles ball passed half court. The Royals beat the Warriors 72-58.

As a sophomore, Dlayla Chakolis was asked to step into the varsity lineup and provide meaningful minutes. Now as a junior, Chakolis looks to improve as not just a player but as a leader too.

“I started playing basketball in kindergarten,” Chakolis said. “My dad wanted to get me involved in sports early. I would watch NBA games on TV and knew that’s what I could picture myself doing.”

Through a long career Chakolis has accumulated many fond memories.

“My favorite one so far would have to be winning nationals in Kentucky. I hit a buzzer beater at halftime in the championship game, giving us the lead,” Chakolis said.

Basketball has also taught Chakolis many off-court values.

“It’s taught me how to stay humble in times of success, but also to have a passion to do my best when in a slump,” Chakolis said. “I’ve learned to put trust in myself and be confident, and also have an urge to reflect in order to improve my comments.”

Chakolis likes to stay in a basketball mood on game days, often watching highlights of her favorite players.

“While waiting at the freshman and junior varsity games I’ll watch film on guys like Lebron James and Kyrie Irving,” Chakolis said. “I also watch my own film from last season and AAU to envision my moves and the way I should play.”

It’s still early in the season but Chakolis has her eyes set on state and getting another shot at bringing a championship to Hopkins girls basketball.