Player Profile: Kerwin Walton

Nov 21, 2017

Kerwin Walton, sophomore, shoots basketball in front of defender. Walton is a recent transfer from Breck.

Crissha Walton

Kerwin Walton, sophomore, is a transfer student from Breck in his first year at HHS. Walton started playing basketball when he was in fifth grade.

Last year Walton averaged 16.3 points per game. He is also ranked as the 22nd best small forward in the nation at his age, according to Minneapolis FAB.

Walton’s dad got him into playing basketball by showing him a game.

“I got into basketball when my dad showed me footage of NBA players and how they play for a living,” Walton said. “I wanted to be able to buy my parents nice things so I decided to practice, and soon afterwards, I started to really enjoy playing the sport.”

Throughout his playing career, Walton has many memories that have stuck with him, but one in particular sticks out the most.

“One of my favorite memories is going to AAU Nationals for the first time in sixth grade. My whole family came and we were the only team from Minnesota, we ended up taking 10th place in the tournament,” Walton said.

With it being Walton’s first year in the Hopkins program, he is gonna have some obstacles to fight through.

“I’m going to communicate with my teammates and learn their game. Coming to open gym has already helped me start to bond with my teammates. I am going to play my best that I can to help the team,” Walton said.

Walton has been putting in hard work during the offseason in hopes to bring the Royals back on track.

“In the off-season I’ve been improving my strength and skill with workouts. I’ve been putting a big focus on my shot and ball handling.”

Tryouts for the boys basketball team started Thur., November 20, and the season kicks off December 2, against the Cretin-Derham Hall Raiders.