Movie Monday: Thor: Ragnarok

Nov 20, 2017

Over the weekend I watched Thor: Ragnarok, the newest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The movie is about Thor (Chris Hemsworth) being cast across the universe and losing his beloved hammer, Mjolnir. Thor has to find his way back to Asgard without his powers if he’s going to stop the goddess of death, Hela (Cate Blanchett), from consuming his homeworld.

Thor: Ragnarok has the perfect combination of humor, action, and sentiment. I was constantly snickering to myself, feeling a connection with the characters, or enjoying watching Thor and his buddy Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) pummel the bad guys.

Something I always hope for in a film is movement. I don’t want to sit in the theater waiting for it to end, and Thor: Ragnarok delivered consistency on a silver platter. Not once did I find myself yawning or checking the time, and before I knew it, the movie was over and I was craving more.

Another ball that Marvel knocked out of the park was the soundtrack. During multiple action scenes that would usually have your basic fighting music, classical rock or hip hop was heard instead. This strategy is used in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy as well, merging perfectly with the heroes’ witty senses of humor and boastful attitudes.

I rate this movie a 9.5/10. With twists and turns that are sure to keep you at the edge of your seat, Thor: Ragnarok is a must-see superhero movie and my personal favorite Marvel film of the year. As for the fabled after-credits scene to hint at what we’ll get a bite of next, you’ll have to go and see it for yourself.