Minnesota Twins recognized with two Gold Glove awards

Nov 8, 2017

Last night, Nov. 7, the Minnesota Twins were recognized twice for having outstanding defense throughout the 2017 MLB season.

Brian Dozier, second basemen, and Byron Buxton, center fielder, both won A.L. Gold Glove Awards. For both of these players, it is their first time winning this award.

There was little surprise of Buxton’s win, he has helped the Twins through many games this year in the field. Whether it was making diving catches or crashing into the wall to save an extra base hit, Buxton was a standout player this season.

Buxton had some notable numbers this year that helped his case to win this award. He had six assists, only five errors in 400 chances, and had a .988 fielding percentage.

Taken from Minnesota Twins Twitter
Dozier also was more than qualified to win this award. He led the A.L. in fielding percentage with .993, only committing five errors in 674 total chances. For Dozier he also saved many hits by diving into gaps and gunning runners out at first.

The Twins last Gold Glove winner was back in 2010 when All-Star catcher, Joe Mauer, won it. The Twins also haven’t had two Gold Glove winners in the same season since Johan Santana, pitcher, and Torii Hunter, center fielder, both won it in 2007, according to ESPN.com.

Both Buxton and Dozier were a huge help in the Twins successful season this year. They helped turn around the terrible season last year into a playoff berth and a historic season