Lindbergh Loonies look to energize student section

Nov 8, 2017

Photo+of+Lindbergh+Loonies+after+receiving++their+jerseys.+

Taken from Hopkins Superfans Twitter account

Photo of Lindbergh Loonies after receiving their jersey’s.

With yet another basketball season coming up, the Lindbergh Loonies plan to energize the HHS student section at every chance they can get.

The Loonies have been an HHS tradition for a countless amount of years. Being a part of a tradition like this is a privilege for co-leader of the Loonies Austin Lehman, senior.

“It’s really such an honor to be a part of the best tradition that the MSHL has to offer,” Lehman said. “Watching my brother go through it made me want to a part of this even more.”

One of the Loonie traditions is the name on the back of their jersey. A fun thing to do for the Loonies is to have the name on the back of their jersey mean something to them.

Lehman’s name is Ashton because his teacher accidentally called him that on accident.

Tommy Auth, senior, the other co-leader of the Loonies, plans to make sure the HHS student section has the biggest student turnout at every game. Auth’s name is The Author because he plans to write an inspirational story one day.

“We wanna make sure we can get as many people as we can at every game,” Auth said. “We want it to look like it’s a home game wherever we go. Last year was kinda weak, so we gotta make sure that changes this year.”

Auth and Lehman both see the Loonies as an opportunity to build a community.

“The Loonies are a very inclusive group. We invite everyone,” Lehman said. “Any senior could be a Loonie if they wanted to.”

Auth had a really specific goal in mind when it came to what he wanted to accomplish.

“If I have my voice after the game, I know I was doing something wrong,” Auth said.