Sophomores receive drivers’ licenses

Nov 3, 2017

In order for teenagers to get their licenses they need 30 hours of classroom instruction, written test, six hours of driving around with a stranger, 50 hours of supervised driving, and a cost of around $300.

Many sophomores at HHS can’t wait until the moment they can take their driving test. Some couldn’t care less.

There are many reasons why someone wouldn’t want to get a driver’s license. One being the risk of crashes, which is highlighted in driver’s ed. The unforgettable videos and nerve racking statistics may be why only 44 percent of high school students got their licenses within a year of turning 16, according to AAA.

Claire Holman, sophomore, doesn’t care about a driver’s license. Holman would rather just take a ride with friends or use public transportation.

“I think public transportation is something we should use more,” Holman said.

Holman is not alone, according to AAA, 34 percent of people rely on public transportation. She likes that it is cheaper than driving her own car.

This is true as the average annual cost to own a vehicle is $8,698. Gas, maintenance and fees all contribute to this cost. Insurance accounts for much of this money, and there is often an extra insurance cost for young drivers. Since the rate of crashes is highest among teens, they cost more to insure.

On the other hand, Shane Geswind, sophomore, can not wait to take the driver’s test. He finds no negatives of getting a license and is actually excited for the benefits that he and his family will get.

“Having a driver’s license, will allow me to be able to help mom, like get groceries or run errands,” Geswind said.

Geswind is not alone, many teens are motivated to help out their family. Anders Petersen, sophomore, is one to fall into this category.

“My mom cant wait for me to get my licenses,” Peterson said. He shares how he will have to take on some of his parents tasks.

Another reason many students want a license, is a sense of freedom that comes from driving. Peterson shares how having a driver’s license will give him more freedom but also more responsibility.

Responsibility is what some teen drivers did not learn in the 30 hours of classroom instruction. This might be why the risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than any other age group.