Royals continue post-season win streak with victory over Hornets

Nov 1, 2017

Bea Frank

Tara Lee, junior, prepares to serve at the 2016 MSHSL state tournament.

The Royals volleyball continued their post-season winning streak last night by swatting down the Edina Hornets for their second win of sections.

“Going into the match, we knew that Edina was going to push us, we knew that it was gonna be a closely fought game, but we went in confident knowing we were the better team,” Tara Lee, senior captain, said.

On Tuesday night, the Royals won three sets to zero, having a close first set, and two dominant sets following, to make them one step closer to the Xcel Energy Center for the state tournament.

The Royals won the first set by a total of 21-25. This was similar to the other two times the Royals faced the Hornets. The Royals are 2-0 against the Hornets, but both games the Hornets came out strong and tested the Royals straight out of the gate.

“In the first set we struggled to get going, but we still came out on top,” Lee said.

The second set was taken by the Royals with a final score of 25-19. The Royals have seemed to get stronger as the games have gone on throughout the season.

“In the second set, we started playing better like we knew we could, but it still wasn’t their best,” Lee said.

The Royals showed their true colors in the third set, and dominated offensively and defensively, which led to a decisive win by a score of 25-13.

“In the third set we really focused in and knew Edina should not come as close as they had been in the first two sets,” Lee said. “We worked harder to get a better first ball contact and to set our block and really started playing together which resulted in a 25-13 win,”.

Next up for the Royals, are the Benilde-St. Margaret’s Red Knights on saturday at Robbinsdale Cooper High School at noon.