Junior leaders attend leadership seminar

Nov 1, 2017

On Friday, Oct. 27, a group of students including Mollie Nirenstein, junior, were selected to attend an all-day field trip at Roger High School featuring youth speaker Mike Smith.

Juniors from HHS spent the day learning about how to be leaders in the community. They were educated on changing the culture of HHS and were encouraged to start clubs and build community.

“I thought it was super inspirational and now I really want to help make changes around our school and make it a better place,” said Mollie Nirenstein, junior.

Smith described his high school experiences as average, but they did not serve as a roadblock for his career today.

“From his humble beginnings in Imperial, NE, Mike has since founded two nonprofits and influenced hundreds of thousands of youth in high schools, universities, and adults in boardrooms nationwide,” according to Mike Smith Live. “Mike lives his life as a ‘professional teenager’ that doubles as a motivational speaker, consultant, and ambassador.”

Smith has created four nonprofits, all of which give back to the community. His love for skateboarding is evident in two of them, The Bay and Skate For a Change.

The Bay is a non-profit skatepark and youth outreach center in Lincoln, NE that focuses on skate, art, music, coffee, and community. Skate For a Change is a youth movement that encourages skateboarders to give back to the homeless in their communities.