Royals drop last game of Regular season to Cards

Oct 23, 2017

Last Wed., Oct. 18, the Royals’ football team had their last regular season game against the Coon Rapid Cardinals.

The Royals regular season came to an end with a 17-21 loss where their defense outscored the offense. The Royals’ defense forced two fumbles and returned them both into scores.

The game didn’t have the best start for DeLawrence Aaron, senior, who got ejected during the first drive of the game.

The game didn’t start the way the Royals would’ve wanted it to, they got down 0-14 early and couldn’t do much on offense. Thanks to the Royals defense and James Klecker, junior, the Royals were able to minimize their deficit with a defensive touchdown and a 32-yard field goal before the half.

At the start of the fourth quarter, the Royals had the lead and were looking solid on defense. Then, with just over ten minutes left, the Cardinals were able to punch it in. That score ended up being that last one of the game.

On the final drive of the game, Klecker was able to convert a long fourth down, but after a sack, time ran out and the game ended.

The Royals ended the regular season with a 1-7 record. They started the season on a five-game losing streak, and ended it on a two-game losing streak. The Royals also had a 1:2 ratio with points for to points against.

The season, however, is not yet over for the Royals. Next Fri., Oct. 27, the Royals will start their sections tournament against the St. Michael Albertville Knights (7-1).