HHS presents students with AP Scholar Awards

Oct 16, 2017

On Tuesday, Oct. 17th, students at HHS will be honored with Advanced Placement (AP) Scholar awards. These awards are given to students who meet the criteria of at least a three or higher on three or more AP exams and distinguish themselves on AP exams.

Hopkins is just one of 258 public schools in the state which provides students with the opportunity to take AP classes, offering twenty-two courses in a variety of subjects. Minnesota has a total of 11,446 AP Scholars for 2017.

“I prepared for my AP exams throughout the course and on my own every night, and I also bought study books to help me,” said Sydney Gottlieb, senior.

In total, 75 HHS students will receive the AP Scholar award, 35 will receive AP Scholar with Honor, 48 will receive AP Scholar with Distinction, and three students receive the recognition of National AP Scholar.  Every award has different criteria to meet; for example, AP Scholars have to receive a three or higher on three or more AP exams, which is the minimum requirement, while National AP Scholars have to have an average score of at least four on all AP exams taken, and they need a four or higher on eight or more exams.

Although there are a total of ten AP Scholar awards possible, students in Minnesota are only eligible for five, because the other five are only eligible for students taking the exams outside of the United States. In order to receive the lowest possible award, AP Scholar, students must obtain a score of three or higher on three or more AP exams.

“Being an AP Scholar will help me get into college, and the AP classes I have taken will help me once I’m in college, because I will have experience with a college level curriculum,” Gottlieb said.