The Royal Page wins awards at MHSPA convention

Oct 13, 2017

Jeff Kocur

Attendees from The Royal Page pose with their 16 awards outside of Coffman Memorial Union at the University of Minnesota.

On Oct. 10, the Minnesota High School Press Association held the annual Minnesota State Journalism Convention at Coffman Memorial Union at the University of Minnesota.

The Royal Page won a total of 16 Gold Medallion awards in various categories, including two first place awards for Newspaper Center-Spread Design and Newspaper Feature Story, for the article “72 years later.” The story was written for the March 2017 issue by Michael Korsh, Samantha Horowitz, and Lily Smith, seniors, and was designed by Korsh and alumni Abby Doeden and Bea Frank.

ā€œThe Royal Pageā€™s awards at the state convention truly show what an amazing publication we are, and Iā€™m so proud of everyone on staff for working hard and caring about our newspaper,ā€ said Michael Korsh, senior and Editor-in-Chief of The Royal Page.

At the convention, students attended three 45 minute breakout sessions on subjects ranging from how to engage readers to covering controversy. These sessions were led by newspaper advisors from around the state, as well as college professors and Star Tribune reporters. The classes were designed to teach students important skills for writing stronger stories and taking better pictures.