Football hopes to get first win of the season at Chanhassen

Sep 29, 2017

Adam Segal

The HHS squad lines up for a play in formation. The royals open up the season on Aug. 30th at home against Apple Valley.

This Friday, September 29th, the Royals travel to Chanhassen to face the Storm (2-2) in the start of the second half of the season. This game will be played at 4 p.m. due to religious holidays.

“We are going to work as a team everyday to get to where we need to be,” said Connor Fitzgerald, senior.

The Royals have continued to struggle throughout the season moving to 0-4 after a loss to the Spring Lake Park Panthers last Friday 20-7.

A big problem the Royals have had throughout the season is the dropped passes and allowing big plays on defense. The receivers have had balls going through their hands and it has really hurt the team. The defense has been getting burned deep in the passing game and allowing runners to break through the second and third line of their defense.

Last game, we saw Fitzgerald have a great game at quarterback but was forced to leave early due to a finger injury. James Klecker, junior, came in to finish the game but threw an interception and couldn’t move the ball much.

The quarterback situation will be a big thing to watch during this game. Both quarterbacks have each had their opportunity to play the whole game, but with Fitzgerald’s injury, Klecker could be getting the start.

After the Storm started out 2-0, they have been shutout in back to back games and have dropped to .500 on the season.

After this game, the Royals have their homecoming next Friday, October 6th against the St. Thomas Academy Cadets.