Friday Fun: Team Tailgate

Sep 22, 2017

Photo+of+Team+Tailgate+repping+USA+theme+at+second+game+of+the+season+against+the+Waconia+Wildcats.+

Hopkins Superfans Twitter

Photo of Team Tailgate repping USA theme at second game of the season against the Waconia Wildcats.

HHS seniors have taken this year’s football season to the next level – bringing people together to get the energy up before the opening kickoff.

“A lot of other schools tailgate, last year kids at Hopkins High didn’t really tailgate, but we are trying to bring it back and continue tailgating,” said Tommy Auth, senior. “It started a couple of years ago, and we are just trying to continue it.”

Tailgates are generally a social event held in parking lots before a game or event which includes lawn games, grilling, and more food and drinks. At HHS, the tailgates are held at the NJH parking lot before the Friday football games.

“Football is one of the only sports you can tailgate at,” Auth said. “I don’t think people tailgate at lacrosse or soccer because there isn’t as many fans that show up.”

Tailgating is not strictly a football event, but still, pro football is the only professional sport where tailgating is very common.

“People hear about the tailgates on social media, and we have a groupme with all of the senior guys in it,” Auth said.

Team tailgate has become very successful in spreading their name through their twitter account “@RoyalsSuperfans”. The account currently has 155 followers and is rapidly growing. It spreads word about tailgates, student section announcements, and spirits for different games and events.

“People should come to the tailgate because they are a lot of fun with good food and music, and you get to spend time with your friends,” Auth said. “We grill, play catch, listen to music, and play cornhole (bean bag toss).”

Tonight there will be a tailgate in the NJH parking lot starting at 5:30 anticipating the 7:30 kickoff against Spring Lake Park. All students are welcome.