DECA looks to increase membership and compete at Nationals

Sep 15, 2017

DECA is a business oriented club here at HHS. DECA is a not-for-profit student organization with more than 215,000 members spreading over all 50 states. Starting at a district level, students compete in business competitions consisting of business plan pitches and a test. If students win they move on to state and then a national competition.

“DECA stands for distributive education clubs of America, but now it’s just an abbreviation used for corporate branding,” said Alex Jono, senior and DECA President.

The first competition is the district competition and it’s always the last weekend in January hosted at Wayzata High School with the award ceremony taking place the day after.

“I really enjoy how it’s different than all the other clubs at school because it allows you to be in a business environment,” said Austin Lehman, senior. “We wear suits for practices and for the competition it allows you to learn a lot about the business world and how to act as a professional and be professional in a proper setting.”

DECA will meet on Wednesdays after school in the cafeteria starting early to mid November and anyone interested is encouraged to join.

“We are always looking for new members and if anyone is interested we also encourage them to join,” said Jono.

If you have any questions regarding DECA talk to Alex Jono.