Royals take the road and look to take down the Falcons for their first win

Sep 14, 2017

• Royals vs. Waconia Wildcats on 9/8/2017.

The Royals football team has started off slow this season, and it has shown in their 0-2 record. This week they will travel to Robbinsdale Armstrong to play their third game against the Falcons on Friday, September 15th.

“We have a different mentality coming into this game since it’s our first conference game,” said Matthias Harris, senior. “Our head coach even said that we can not let this game slip because it says a lot about us when it comes time for seeding in the playoffs, and we would like to avoid playing a number one seed to set ourselves up for success in the long run.”

Last Friday, the Royals fell to the Waconia Wildcats in their home opener 20-38. Throughout the game, the Royals continuously got burned on the deep ball and dropped open passes on offense.

Besides the dropped balls, the Royals were able to start scoring and consistently moving the ball.

“From the first game to the second game, I felt a lot more calm which gave me the ability to go through all my reads and find the open receiver,” Connor Fitzgerald, senior quarterback, said.

In the Royals’ upcoming game they will be facing the Falcons with a record of 1-1. The Falcons are 0-1 this year at home and will look to secure their first home win. On the other side, the Royals are looking to get their first win of the season.

Fitzgerald believes the key to winning this upcoming game is by improving the run game which they have been working on in practice in preparation.

The Royals’ defense, despite coming up with a turnover in each of their games this season, has still been giving up too many points. It will continue to be hard for the Royals to get their first win of the season when the opponents are scoring more than 25 points a game.

After this away game, the Royals will come back home as they host the Spring Lake Park Panthers, on Friday, September 22nd.