Minneapolis wage increase leaves HHS students with uncertainty

Sep 11, 2017

It may not sound like much money, but a $5.50 per hour minimum wage increase has a shockwave that reaches all throughout the Minneapolis business community. Jacob Gonsior, junior, is hopeful to see a raise in his job a Davanni’s.

“The minimum wage increase in Minneapolis makes me excited to see if maybe those $15 per hour jobs could make it out into other parts of the state, including where I work,” Gonsior said.

The increase comes after a twelve to one vote made by the Minneapolis City Council in order to increase the minimum wage in the city from $9.50 an hour to $15 an hour. Even though many workers are very pleased with the change as it is now, there are many outside the city who would like to see the increase move throughout the entire state.

The decision gave large employers until July 1, 2022 to implement the raise and small employers until July 1, 2024.

This caused concern among the workforce as smaller companies may have to lay off employees because they do not have enough money to pay them the $15 an hour wage. These potential cuts might be reason for unrest among many suburban workers in the state, including HHS students who are worried about losing jobs to laid off workers from the city.

Nick Kantz is one such student. The HHS junior works at Williston Center. His main concern is how secure his job is for the coming year.

“I’m really anxious about what will happen to my job, and whether or not I’ll still have it by the end of the year.” Kantz said.

Whether the wage increase impact is positive or negative, the long-term results of the boost will always be a cause for thought among the people of Minnesota.