Recap: Football loses to Wildcats 20-38

Sep 9, 2017

On Sept. 8, the Royals football team took their second loss of the season 20-38 to the Waconia Wildcats.

The Royals defense,again, struggled early in the game but this time they weren’t able to turn things around. They continually got burned deep through the game and the Wildcats made them pay with that.

On the offensive side, the Royals were able to punch the ball in a lot more than in the first game. Also, quarterback Connor Fitzgerald, senior, took on a major role as Jake Klecker, junior, took a step back on the offensive side.

Fitzgerald looked very strong and went almost the whole game without an interception, but after the Royals recovered a fumble late in the game, Fitzgerald under threw a pass and the Wildcats took over.

Klecker did come in a few possessions and was able to score the Royals’ first points on a one-yard run in.

Running back Jadon Washington, junior, again had a very solid game, and this time was able to punch one in the end zone.

Fitzgerald was able to throw his first touchdown of the year to X’zarion Hill, senior, late in the game.

The Royals defense, despite getting burned deep, was able to come up with a big fumble recovery that ended up leading to the first Royals’ touchdown.

The defense can not continue to keep allowing these early possession scores and going down so early in the game.

The Royals’ next game is their first conference game against the Armstrong Falcons.