Royal Productions holds auditions for fall musical

Sep 8, 2017

The royal production have been trying out after school. The final list will be posted Thursday.

Hannah Goldfarb

On Sept. 6 and Sept. 7, the HHS theater department, Royal Productions, held auditions for their fall musical. This year, the performance will be Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

The musical tells the Biblical story of Joseph, one of twelve brothers. When Joseph’s brothers betray him and sell him to into slavery, Joseph gradually finds success in Egypt as a dream interpreter.

Due to the predominantly male cast, only two roles for women are written into the show. However, Mrs. Natalie Foster, director, isn’t going to let this prevent her from casting the best student for a particular role.

“I will cast the best people for the roles in the show. The ‘Brothers’ will be both men and women. We will look at casting several narrators as well. This opens up roles for our talented women,” Foster said.

When auditioning, students are asked to prepare two songs: one of their choice, and one from the musical. In order to give the best options possible, those auditioning carefully chose a song that will best showcase their voice.

“I was having a hard time finding an audition song, so I just listened to some of Sara Bareilles’ music, because I love her work and I found a song that would fit my voice,” said Maddie Bernt, junior.

Song choice isn’t the only thing students must consider before their audition, they also have to consider the nerves that come with signing in front of a critical audience.

“Personally, I drink a lot of tea before auditions. This year, I’m trying to drink relaxing tea because I’m typically very nervous. It’s hard not to be nervous before an audition, even if you’re confident, you’re going to have nerves,” said Ben Herstig, senior.

Callback auditions will be held next Thursday for the more prominent roles, as well as any roles the director is unsure about casting. At callbacks, students will be asked to perform songs from the show and work through a dance combination.

The final cast list will be posted Sept. 13, and rehearsals will begin Sept. 14.