Girls cross country looks to build off of new runners

Sep 7, 2017

Sheridan Pavelka, senior, runs at invitational. Pavelka is looking to lead the girls this year without key runners from last year.

provided by Sheridan Pavelka

Despite graduating a few key runners, the Royals girls cross country team is looking forward to a successful new season, riding equally on the performance of both under and upperclassmen.

“I’m excited, it’s a really new team, because we had a lot of seniors graduate. But this year we have a lot better chemistry,” said Sheridan Pavelka, senior. “[HHS alums] Bit Keckler and Renee Anderson were some of the top runners in the state and on our team, which is definitely a setback for us, but we are still grinding.”

Pavelka, along with Lily Den Hartog, senior, and Emily Goering, senior, are the three varsity captains for the Royals this year. Pavelka has been running cross country since seventh grade and is looking forward to being a team leader in her final year.

This year during practice, the team has been putting in many more miles compared to last year, even doing interval and tempo workouts to be better prepared for their meets.

The Royals are also looking at some new, key runners to step up and make a difference for their team.

“We have a lot of new freshmen this year that will hopefully step up for us, and some good returners,” Pavelka said. “We have Lucy Avenson, a junior, one of our returning varsity runners. She also qualified for state last year in track, so we are hoping she can keep that going in the fall. We have Lauren Krake, a junior, who is also another one of our returning varsity runners. Besides that, it’s really up for grabs from anyone right now, it’ll be really fun to see.”

The Royals already competed in their first 5k meet last Thurs., at St. Olaf, and will compete again today, Sept. 7, at Gale Woods Farm for their home meet.