Boys soccer results in tie with CDH

Sep 6, 2017

Clarence+Weah%2C+sophomore%2C+dribbles+ball+up+the+field.+Weah+and+the+Royals+look+to+continue+their+hot+streak+from+last+year.+

Hopkins Royals Athletics

Clarence Weah, sophomore, dribbles ball up the field. Weah and the Royals look to continue their hot streak from last year.

Last night, the Royals boys’ soccer team, with a fighting effort, tied the Cretin-Derham Hall Raiders by a score of five to five.

Jake Rosenblum, senior wing, believed the game was a fierce contest filled with back and forth action.

“The game was very intense. The action never really stopped,” Rosenblum said. “We played at a good pace and kept getting back up after Cretin kept on coming back.”

Rosenblum felt the team steadily improved throughout the game.

“We had our moments. Overall, we played a lot better than we have all season,” Rosenblum said. “We’ve progressed a lot during these past couple games and the team has been showing better intensity during practices.”

Rosenblum also noted the team passed the ball quite well in the game. Despite this, he believed the team needed to show better resiliency after Cretin scored.

Clarence Weah, sophomore center forward, had a tremendous game last night recording a hat trick.

“It felt good to play at home,” Weah said. “The team was playing at a good level. I played pretty well last night, especially in the second half. It was a tight game and I put myself in good situations to score goals.”

Rosenblum recognized one of his goals as “unsaveable” when he lined up for a free kick with the Royals down one. He blasted one top right to tie the game for the Royals.

“There was this one free kick from Clarence (Weah) to tie the game. He was about 30 yards out and put a perfect shot in the back of the net,” Rosenblum said. “There was no way the goalie was going to save it.”

The Royals will stay at home for a Lake Conference showdown with the Wayzata Trojans on September 7th at 5 p.m.