Baseball prepares for their road to state

May 23, 2017

Royals+varsity+baseball+team+poses+outside+of+dugout.+

provided by Luis Felemovicius

Royals varsity baseball team poses outside of dugout.

The HHS baseball team finished the season with a record of 10-9 and earned the second seed in the sections tournament.

The Royals had a pretty consistent season with their record this year. They were never more than two games above or below .500. Their longest win streak on the season was four games while their longest losing streak was three games.

Just like last year the Royals finished dead last in the Lake Conference standings, but, unlike last year, the Royals managed to win two conference games instead of one.

Their biggest win on the season came against the Minnetonka Skippers where they won 3-0. This game also was their first conference win on the season.

The Royals worst head-to-head record came against the Wayzata Trojans who they faced three times on the season. The Royals went 0-3 in the games but showed improvement in all three. They have a chance to face again in sections but it would require both teams to make it to the championship game.

The Royals start their sections tournament on Wednesday, May 24 at Big Willow. They will play against the seventh seeded Robbinsdale Cooper Hawks.

The Royals are coming off back-to-back wins against the Eden Prairie Eagles and the St. Louis Park Orioles and will look to keep their hot streak going.

“We only have one day of practice but we are going to work hard to focus on the little things and not making any mental mistakes in the playoffs,” said Morgan Holmes, senior.

This will be the first time these two teams meet this season. The Hawks had a rough season going 2-17.

The top seeded Wayzata Trojans will have their first game against Minneapolis South who had a record of 10-8.

The other two first round matchups are the Orioles against Minneapolis Washburn and Robbinsdale Armstrong against Minneapolis Southwest.

The Royals, provided they win, will face the winner of the Robbinsdale Armstrong and Minneapolis Southwest game. The Royals have already played and beat the Falcons but have not yet played the Lakers.

On the other side of the bracket, the winner of the Trojans and Tigers game will face the winner of the Orioles and the Millers game.

The Royals will have a tough road through the tournament but will need to win it all in order to make it to state. Doing so will be a struggle but it can be attained with the Royals hard work ethic and their grit.

“My mentality going into sections is keep playing like I know how too and help contribute to the team,” said Tommy Auth, junior.