NHS concludes year with Senior Campout, looks to future leaders

May 19, 2017

Anyone can apply for a position or a title, but not everyone can hold the title. This is also the case at HHS with students applying to the National Honor Society.

According to the www.nhs.us, “The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.”  

There are scholarship opportunities available from NHS, but many students just apply to be a member.  Many people ask what is the big deal, or the reasoning behind wanting to become of NHS?  

Being granted a membership gives wonderful opportunities. These opportunities include things such as; becoming part of a new community, getting to do community service with members of your chapter, a large step in developing leadership skills, and as always, this looks great on a college application.

At the helm of the NHS chapter here at HHS, is Mrs. Jennifer Heimlich, social studies.  

Tonight, is the National Honor Society Senior Campout on the football field, it was originally supposed to be a sleepover, but now students can stay until 12 a.m..